Preview & Skim
Look for structural cues: headings, sub-headings, figures or images
Look for context: where, when, who created the text
Attempt to infer author's purpose and audience
- Annotate the text with your questions
- Relate text to your own beliefs and experiences
- Identify new terms, concepts or sources to explore
- Note key points or conclusions
Outline & Summarize
- Outline to see structure & flow of the text
- Summarize to check your understanding
- State main points and thesis for quick review
Question & Wonder
- How does the work contribute to your inquiry?
- How might the source help: as evidence, background, argument?
- What does the author ask you to accept or believe?
- What evidence or persuasion does the author supply (fact, opinion, assumption)?
- How does the text relate to other readings (contradict, support, extend)?
Reread & Reflect