Here are some basic steps for doing research. Also see the Library’s Guide to Research Strategies or contact your librarian for help.
1. Identify your topic
- Search online to get background information
- Wikipedia and Google searches are fine for this
2. Make a list of search terms based on your background information
- What terms do you see being used for your topic?
- Do experts or scientists use different terms?
3. Do an initial search
- Start on OneSearch, the search bar on the library main website
- Try different search terms
- Use the filters on the left side of the screen to narrow results
4. Consider searching in a database
- Databases generally have articles from a subject area
- Some are very general and have a wide scope
- Use databases to get more precise results
5. If you need help, contact your librarian