Always have a plan to guide your research. SMART goals are one method of planning your research. Consider your research question, and ask yourself if it is:
- Specific: is your research question clear and specific enough to guide your search?
- Measurable: consider the measures you will use to answer your question.
- Attainable: is the answer to your research question attainable given the scope of your project?
- Relevant: is there generalizability or broader significance to your research?
- Time-bound: set clear time goals to ensure your research can be completed in a timely manner.