- authored by experts, for experts
- academic in focus
- reports original research (experimentation), research methodology or theory
Generally, scholarly journals are targeted for professional or academic researchers. The publication will likely be peer reviewed.
Peer Reviewed (Refereed) Publications
- Articles go through a rigorous assessment that involves review and approval by the author’s peers (experts in the same subject area).
- Are published only if they have passed through the official editorial process
- This system is utilized to maintain and improve the quality of scholarly materials published in serials.
While not all scholarly journals go through the peer review process, it is usually safe to assume that a peer reviewed journal is also scholarly.